Wednesday, May 14, 2008

green toys...



I feel like I have been doing my darndest to save the planet. I use reusable bags at pretty much everystore, use a comuter mug, John rides his bike to school, I have two compost bins and a worm bin, somedays I do my best to just not go anywhere! I am doing my part right??? Up until recent events I was feeling really good about my green skills!

We were invited to a friend's 1st bday, so I took myself down to target and got a standard 1st bday kind of toy. We saw the dad a week later and I asked if she got a ton of toys and then he said it"...yeah, all made in china, makes me sick..." I thought to myself OMG what have I done! To get the record straight, I really don't know enough about what is going on in China to take a political stand, but this is more of toy safety issue, how is it made, what is it made out of? Why are we so obsessed with these mass produced plastic toys. I am so guilty of it, we have like the entire Dora land and love them! I will never get rid of them, but I have pledged that I will be more concious of my toy purchases for my kids and for friends gifts. As you can see I have done some research...I found this toy line that is based in San Francisco and the toys are made from 100% curbside collected, recycled milk jugs! How awesome is that! And these great animals from Australia that are made out of wood. Our good budy Ben was the recipient of a sand pail set from Green Toys, so cool. I know I won't be able to steer completly away from Made in China, but at least I can research the company and buy toys that are made of natural fibers like, wood and fabric. I know that Melissa and Doug make their toys in China, but they test them on their own 6 kids, so they must be safe. Okay I will step off my soap box, but I have been passionate about this lately, yes, even enough to blog about it! who knew!


1 comment:

mcm said...

Marie! Missing you guys this weekend reminded me I should check your blog & I'm so happy to see this post! YAYYY for environmentalism, I'm so happy that you are looking into environmentally-friendly toys...& that you decided to share that :) I also try to be as environmentally-conscious as possible but sometimes there are things you don't even think about, like kids toys! Thanks for sharing & making others aware! :)Hope to see you this week!